Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Peace Corps Service in Mozambique

I recently accepted an invitation to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in Mozambique. My primary duty will be to teach biology to secondary school students (8th-10th grade), and I will also be very involved in HIV/AIDS education and community development.

I will be in Mozambique for 27 months and I leave on September 26th, 2007.

For the first 10 weeks upon my arrival I will be able to receive mail and packages at the following address:

James Mangan, PCV

Corpo da Paz/U. S. Peace Corps

C.P. 4398

Maputo

Mozambique

It is recommended that packages be sent in padded envelopes if possible, as boxes tend to be taxed more frequently. For lightweight but important items (e.g. airline tickets), DHL (an express mail service) does operate in Maputo.

If you choose to send items through DHL, you must address the package to the following address:


James Mangan, PCV

c/o U. S. Peace Corps Mozambique

Avenida Zimbabwe 345

Maputo

Mozambique

(These addresses will be valid from Septemeber 27, 2007 - December 7, 2007. At that point I will find out where I will be placed in Mozambique for the next 2 years and will post a new address.)

It is important to number letters sent to that address and write "Airmail" and/or "Par Avion" on anything sent out. The mail system is not as reliable as the U.S. system and there may be delays and people may tamper with letters or packages. It is a good idea to write "god bless" on letters, draw religious crosses, or put 'father' in front of my name in order to prevent tampering. I have been told that people are less likely to mess with your mail if it seems to have a religious purpose as to avoid a curse or bad karma. For real. Writing school supplies on the package is a good idea in order to prevent stealing or tampering.

Also, I will have a cell phone when I am there, but I do not have a number as of yet. I will let people know as soon as possible.

I am embarking on the biggest adventure of my life and I couldn't be more excited or nervous. I will try to post updates of my experiences in Mozambique on a regular basis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is nick saying that this is the blog of eternal stench

AlyssaSeal said...

Sick blog

San Francisco Movie

Friends in Florida